There should be a more diverse representation of artists, audience members and stories in our theatre in Canada.
Theatre Passe Muraille aspires to be a leader locally, nationally and internationally in establishing, promoting and embracing collaborative and inclusive theatre practices that support and ignite the voices of unique artists, communities and audiences.
Our mission is to break down walls by pushing against boundaries; to create art with and for an audience, examining the marginal, the unexplored and the unforeseen; to articulate a distinct Canadian voice that reflects the complexity of our intercultural society.
Theatre Passe Muraille has a special interest in:
- producing theatre that is provocative, subversive and joyful
- supporting and presenting independent artists and companies, emerging artists, and marginalized voices
- modelling new approaches to creation, collaboration, production and stewardship
- providing mentorship, expertise, space and opportunity to people, artists and companies
- encouraging, enhancing and increasing meaningful interactions between our communities – artists, staff, audiences, neighbourhoods and supporters
- Community oriented
Photo by Michael Cooper | Anusuree Roy in Pyaasa | Lighting Design by David DeGrow
*Theatre Passe Muraille is a member of the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres (PACT) and engages professional artists who are members of Canadian Actors’ Equity Association. Theatre Passe Muraille is also a member of the Toronto Alliance for the Performing Arts, Theatre Ontario and the Creative Trust. Theatre Passe Muraille is funded by the Canadian Council for the Arts, Ontario Arts Council, the Toronto Arts Council, and by its commercial sponsors and individual benefactors.